Historic St. Peter's

Parish History | Edifice | Archives

Chancel

Altar & Reredos, Credence, Altar Rail
Pulpit, Lectern, Organ

Chancel

 

THE Memorial Altar & Reredos

The altar and reredos were erected in 1885. They were designed by Mr. Richard M. Upjohn, and, with the exception of the sculptured angels, the work was executed by Messrs. Ellin & Co. of New York. The material employed is Caen stone, and the type of architecture is the decorated Gothic of the church. The altar is raised from the floor of the nave by seven stone steps, three of which form the ascent from the sanctuary pavement. It is eight feet, three inches in length, and the front is deeply recessed by round arches, which are supported by columns of tinted marble and enclose symbolic sculpture. The reredos defines the central plane of the polygonal apse, and its apex lifts its cross against the base of the central lancet of the chancel. The chief sculptural feature are two angels, designed in high relief, with outspread wings, kneeling above the retable in adoration of the cross, which forms the background of the reredos. These devout and beautiful figures were modeled by Mr. Louis St. Gaudens in the studio of his brother Auguste. The north buttress of the reredos bears the following inscription:

Altar
 

To the
glory of God
and in sacred and
loving
memory of
Elizabeth McClintock Pruyn,
Born Oct. 31st. 1853,
evermore at rest
Dec. 20th, 1884

The south buttress is inscribed:

And we also bless
thy holy Name for
all thy servants
departed this life
in thy faith and fear;
beseeching thee
to give us grace
so to follow their
good examples, that
with them, we may
be partakers of
thy heavenly kingdom.

Altar Angel Faces


Credence Table

In 1885, the credence table was built into the wall on the south of the altar. Designed by Richard Upjohn and cut from Caen stone, the upper portion consists of a recessed arch enclosed in a square, whose exterior molding terminates in sculptured corbels. Below the table are the words:

“Blessed are the pure
in heart; for
they shall see God.”

May XXIII A D MDCCCLXV.

On the base runs the inscription:

In loving memory of Catharine Elizabeth Van Vechten Ten Eyck.

 

Altar Rail

The Sanctuary is separated from the Choir by a brass trefoil Rail supported by standards of beaten brass of intricate workmanship. It was designed by Robert Gibson and is inscribed:

In Memory of Mary Jane Perry, wife of John S. Perry, and their deceased children.

 

Pulpit

 

The pulpit was built in 1886 by Ellin & Co. of New York after the design of Robert Gibson. It is Venetian Gothic in composition. The material is the red sandstone of Carlisle. The base, whose foundations rise from the crypt, bears the inscription:

In Memoriam
John Rutger Bleecker
Eliza Attwood Bleecker
Benjamin Tibbits
Elizabeth Bleecker Tibbits

 

 

 

 

Lectern

 

The fine, bronze lectern made by the Gorham Company of New York was placed in the church in 1892. It represents an angel of heroic size, whose uplifted hands support the frame on which the Bible rests. The globe which forms the base is inscribed:

To the Glory of God’s Word
and in loving memory of
John Macdonald
entered into Rest March 27, A. D. 1892
“For so He giveth His Beloved sleep.”

 

 

 

 

 

Organ

The Pipe Organs of St. Peter's Church:

 

Organ Pipes
     
1812 The first organ installed in St. Peter's was built by the New York builder William Redstone for the sum of $1800. An organist was hired, and to the sexton's duties was added "blowing the organ bellows," for which he was paid $25 a year. In the same year Mr. Redstone built an organ for St. George's Church, Schenectady.
1835 Messrs. E. and G. G. Hook of Boston built a new organ, Op. 20, of two manuals and twenty-four stops for St. Peter's. A report in the Albany Evening Journal describes this organ in glowing terms, and says, "The cost, we understand, was three thousand dollars." St. George's Church, Schenectady, purchased Hook's Op. 38 instrument a few years later.
1860 In this, the year following the construction of the current church building, Johnson and Son, organbuilders of Westfield, Massachusetts, built "an organ both sweet and powerful, which was capable of enlargement and enrichment whenever desired." The organ was in the rear balcony of the church.
1880 The organ, now in "maimed and shattered condition," was rebuilt by the Hook and Hastings company.
1886 Hilborne Rossevelt, organbuilder, supplied an organ of three manuals and twenty-seven stops for the newly prepared organ chamber at the front of the church. A plaque commemorating this instrument is on the wall next to the pulpit. At this time a vested choir of men and boys, which would sing from the front of the church, was instituted.
1895 Six new stops were added.
1921 E. M. Skinner Organ Co. built the Battershall Memorial Organ, a sister instrument to the one recently reinstalled in Westminster Presbyterian Church, Albany. This organ included an Echo Division, which spoke into the church from the clerestory window in the tower.
1957 The organ was redesigned and rebuilt by the M. P. Moller Co., Hagerstown, Maryland.
1976 A new organ was built by the Schlicker Organ Co., Buffalo, New York. The design included several stops prepared for but not installed.
1987 The organ was completed by Gregory Hand, Ralph Blakely, and the Carey Organ Company.

 

Specifications of the Organ at St. Peter's Episcopal Church:

1977 - Schlicker Organ Company
1987 - Gregory Hand / Ralph Blakely, organbuilders
1992 - The Carey Organ Company

Great -
61 notes
Positiv -
61 notes
Swell -
61  notes
Pedal -
32 notes
Antiphonal
61 notes
16' Principal 16' Quintadena 16' Lieblich Gedeckt 32' Untersatz (ext.) 8'  Principal
8'  Octave 8'  Principal 8'  Principal 16' Principal 8'  Rohrgedeckt
8'  Chimney Flute 8'  Holzgedeckt 8'  Rohrfloete 16' Subbass 8'  Salicional
8'  Spitzfloete 4'  Octave 8'  Viola 16' Quintadena (Pos.) 8'  Voix Celeste
4'  Octave 4'  Rohrfloete 8'  Celeste (from FF) 8'  Octave (ext.) 4'  Octave
4'  Hohlfloete 2-2/3' Nasat 8'  Flute Celeste 8'  Gemshorn 2'  Gemshorn
3-1/5' Grossterz 2'  Octave 4'  Octave 8'  Gedeckt 1-1/3' Klein Nasat
2-2/3' Quint 2'  Blockfloete 4'  Koppelfloete 4'  Choral Bass II-III Mixture
2'  Octave 1-3/5' Terz 2'  Nachthorn 4'  Waldfloete 8'  Trumpet
1-3/5'  Terz 1-1/3' Klein Nasat II Sesquialtera 2'  Hohlfloete  
VI  Mixture IV Mixture IV-V Mixture II  Rauschquint Antiphonal Ped
III  Cymbel III Terz-Zimbel 16' Fagott IV Mixture 16' Gedecktbass (ext.)
16' Posaune 16' Basson 8'  Trompette 32' Contraposaune (1-12 el) 16' Fagott (ext.)
8'  Trumpet 8'  Trompete 8'  Oboe-Schalmei 16' Bombarde 8'  Trompeta Real
4'  Clarion 8'  Krummhorn 8'  Musette 8'  Trumpet (ext.) 8'  Antiphonal to Pedal
8'  Trompeta Real 4'  Rohrschalmei 4'  Clarion 4'  Schalmei
8'  Swell to Great Tremolo Tremolo 2'  Cornet (ext.)  
8'  Positiv to Great 8' Trompeta Real   8'  Great to Pedal Zimbelstern (toe stud)
8'  Antiphonal to Great 8'  Swell to Positiv   8'  Swell to Pedal  
Antiphonal Tremolo 8'  Antiphonal to Positiv   8'  Positiv to Pedal
Chimes     8'  Antiphonal to Pedal

The Organ is maintained by the Carey Organ Company, Troy, New York.