Historic St. Peter's

Parish History | Edifice | Archives

The Aisle Windows

See also Chancel Windows

(In describing the windows, we begin on the left of the
chancel arch at the end of the south aisle.)

Corning Window

The Corning Window

The Corning Window is the only large American window in the church. The workmanship of Messrs. Heaton, Butler & Bayne, it was placed in 1870. It depicts the Seven Corporal Acts of Mercy and bears the Corning and Tibbits arms with the legend, “Per Industria nil sine Numine.” In the cusped head of the window is the enthroned Christ. Underneath is the memorial inscription:

Gertrude Tibbits Corning, entered into rest Jan. XXII.
MDCCCLXIX. In Pace.

 

The Pruyn Window

The Pruyn Window was made in 1869 by Messrs. Clayton & Bell in the earlier and more severely ecclesiological manner of these artists. It pictures the scene of the Crucifixion. At the head of the window is the mystical marriage of St. Catharine. At the base are subordinate scenes of the Crucifixion, the three Mary’s and the Procession to the Cross. It bears the memorial inscription:

In memory of Harriet C. Turner, wife of John V. L. Pruyn, who died March 22, 1859 in the 37th year of her age. Also of Harriet Catherine, daughter of the aforesaid John and Harriet, who died Feb. 25, 1858, in the 9th year of her age.

Pruyn Window

 

Sherman Window

The Sherman Window

The Sherman Window was designed and put in at the same time as the Pruyn window and is by the same artists. It pictures the three Mary’s and the angels at the sepulchre of our Lord, and it illustrates the text, “Why seek ye the living among the dead, He is not here; He is risen.” In the cusped opening at the head of the window is the ascending Christ. Underneath are subordinate scenes in the narrative of the Resurrection. It bears the memorial inscription:

In memory of Sarah L. Turner, wife of Watts Sherman,
who died Aug. 4, 1838 in the 21st year of her age.

 

The Cooper Window

The Cooper Window was designed by Clayton & Bell in 1879. It represents Christ giving peace and healing to the various types of human misery. At the head of the window is the Agony in Gethsemane, and at the base is the text, “Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest.” It bears the memorial inscription:

In memory of John Tayler Cooper, entered into rest Aug. 13, A. D. 1878.

 

Cooper Window

 

David on Weaver Window

Weaver Window

Melchisedech on Weaver Window

The Weaver Window

The Weaver Window was designed by Burne-Jones and was made under his supervision by the William Morris Company of London. It was given by George S. Weaver to St. Peter’s in 1880. Its theme is the Christology of the Old and New Testaments. The head of the window depicts the Temptation in the Garden of Eden. Below are the three great types of Christ in the old Covenant, with the titles, “Abram Heres Mundi. Melchisedech Rex Salem. David Rex. Israel.” [Abraham, Inheritor of the World. Melchisedech, King of Salem. David, King of Israel.]

At the base are three scenes from the Nativity of Christ: the Annunciation, the Birth and the Adoration of the Kings, with the legend,“Benedictus qui venit rex in Nomine Domini. Pax in caelo et gloria in excelsis.” [Blessed is the King who comes in the Name of the Lord. Peace on earth and glory in heaven.]

This window is recognized as one of the ten most outstanding stained-glass windows in the United States. At the time the window was made, the Burne-Jones studio had developed a new technique involving the flesh colorings of the subjects in their windows. This was the first window installed in the United States using this technique.

A short biography of Burne-Jones is available at http://www.victorianartinbritain.co.uk/biog/burne-jones.htm.

Abraham, Melchisedech, and David on Weaver Window

 

The Wells Window

The Wells Window, erected in 1884, is the design and workmanship of Henry Holiday, the distinguished pupil of Burne-Jones. The head of the window gives the Raising of Lazarus. The large figures underneath are the three Mary’s. Below the Mary of Bethany is the scene depicting the penitent washing the feet of Christ. Below the Virgin Mary, the mother of Christ is pictured fainting at the foot of the Cross. Below Mary, wife of Cleophas, the three Mary’s are represented on their way to the Sepulchre in the garden. At the base of the window is the inscription:

In memory of Agur Wells, died January 21st, 1876, and
Abigail Wells, died March 26th, 1880.

 

Wells Window

 

The Rose Window

The Rose Window is found in the facade of the church above the porch. It bears four lancets surmounted by a large rose, or Catherine wheel window, so called in allusion to the martyrdom of the saint. The rose window was designed and made by the Tiffany Company of New York in 1890; the lancets in 1892. The color scheme of the rose window was suggested by the 13th century glass of Chartres Cathedral. Four arms of the window are lighter in treatment than the others, forming a cross amid the arabesques, of which are the traditional symbols of the four Evangelists. On the pillar on the left of the church porch is the memorial tablet which reads:

The Rose Window
and its ancets
are a loving Memorial of
Sebastian Visscher Talcott
and his dear wife
Olivia Maria Shearman.
Sebastian Visscher Talcott
Born 24th Nov. 1812
Died 10th Nov. 1888.
Olivia Maria Shearman
Born 14th Oct. 1823.
Died 29th Jan. 1888.
The Gift of their Daughter
Sarah Talcott Pruyn.

 

The Van Vechten Window

Above the west door of the north aisle are two small lancets which have been treated as memorials, with decorated glass of artistic interest. The left-hand lancet above the side door was placed in 1885 and is the work of Mary Tillinghast of New York. It represents the youthful St. John the Baptist, above whom are the faces of two cherubs. Underneath is the text, “The Day Spring from on high hath visited us to give light to them that sit in darkness.” The window, the gift of Mrs. Tunis Van Vechten, has no further inscription, but it is a memorial to Margaret Kendrick.

 

The Julia Leake Window

The right-hand lancet was made by Theodore H. Leake of the firm of Leake & Greene, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It is composed of plated glass and displays a Roman cross with the word “Julia” underneath. James H. Leake gave the window in the year 1884 in memory of his daughter, who died at the age of three.

 

The Owens Window

The Owens Window in the facade of the church at the end of the north aisle was placed in 1885 and is the work of Henry Holiday. It stands over the place where the original baptismal font was situated, and its theme is the Sacrament of Christian Baptism. The cusped opening at the top pictures Christ blessing the children. The chief section of the window depicts the Baptism of our Lord with the legend underneath, “This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased. St. Matthew iii, 17."

The subordinate scenes at the base give St. Philip accosting the eunuch of queen Candace, the discourse of Christ with Nicodemus at night, and the Baptism of Lydia and her household. The memorial inscription reads:

In memory of Edward Owens, ob: Nov. 19th, 1862 and his wife, Polly Sabina Hawley, ob: April 10th, 1884.

 

The Kidd Window

The Kidd Window is also the work of Henry Holiday and was put in place in 1884. It represents scenes in the Infancy and Boyhood of Jesus. In the chief section of the window, the middle opening pictures the enthroned Virgin and the divine Child. On either side are the adoring kings, or magi, presenting gifts to the Infant Christ. Below this scene is the legend: “They presented unto Him gifts, Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh.” Underneath the Adoration is pictured the Flight into Egypt, the Boy-Christ in the Temple and the Boy-Christ in the carpenter shop of Nazareth. The opening at the head of the window depicts the Nativity angels proclaiming, “Gloria in Excelsis” [Glory in the highest]. At the base is the memorial inscription:

To the glory of God and in memory of James Kidd, died
May 20th, 1879

Kidd Window

 

Pumpelly Window

The Pumpelly Window

The Pumpelly Window was designed by Clayton & Bell and made in 1883. It depicts the scene of the Transfiguration with the figures of the illumined Christ, Moses and Elias, and the three Apostles, St. Peter, St. James and St. John. Underneath is the text, “He was transfigured before them.” This cusped circle above gives the Risen Christ and St. Thomas. The base of the window pictures the miracle of our Lord at the foot of the mountain of the Transfiguration, below which runs the text, “They were all amazed at the mighty power of God.” The memorial inscription is as follows:

In loving memory of Harmon Pumpelly
sometime Warden of St. Peter’s Church.
Entered into Rest Sept. 28, 1882.

 

The Dexter Window

The Dexter Window, the work of Henry Holiday, was placed in 1884. It represents Faith, Hope and Charity. Beneath the mailed figure of militant Faith is the legend, “Earnestly contend for the Faith,” and the scene of St. Peter’s Confession of the Divinity of our Lord. Beneath the figure of Charity protecting two children is the legend, “Love one another for love is of God” and the scene of St. Peter and St. John healing the cripple at the Beautiful Gate of the Temple. Beneath the figure of Hope parting the clouds, is the legend, “Looking for that blessed hope” and the vision of St. John at Patmos with a banner reading, “And behold a door was opened in heaven.” In the cusped circle at the head of the window is the glorified Christ amid the seven golden candlesticks. The memorial inscription reads:

This tablet is erected to the memory of
Dr. Samuel Dexter
who was born in Northampton, Mass.
on November 14th, A. D. 1756,
moved to Albany in A. D. 1790
and died on August 29th, A. D. 1825.
He and his sons, George and James,
were members and vestrymen of this Parish
These all died in Faith.

Dexter Window

 

Lansing Window

The Lansing Window

The Lansing Window, the work of Henry Holiday of London, was dedicated on the Feast of St. Michael and All Angels in 1901. It depicts scenes from the Night of the Nativity. Angelic hosts proclaim to the Bethlehem shepherds, “Glory to God in the highest, on earth peace, good will towards men.” The largest angel declares, “Born this day unto you is a Savior which is Christ the Lord.” The sexfoil above the lancets depicts the Blessed Virgin and the Divine Child. At the base of the window is the memorial inscription:

In loving memory of
Abraham Lansing
B. 1835, D. Oct. 4, 1899.
Son of Christopher Y. Lansing
and Caroline M. Thomas.

 

The Ten Eyck Window

The Ten Eyck window, placed in 1876, is the work of Edmonson of Manchester, England. It pictures the scene in the Temple where St. Simeon blesses the Infant Christ. In the right compartment is the Blessed Virgin and St. Joseph. In the left compartment is St. Ann. Underneath runs the text, “Lord, now lettest Thou Thy servant depart in peace according to Thy word, for mine eyes have seen Thy salvation.” In the cusped opening above is depicted the archangel St. Michael slaying the dragon under the words, "Now is come salvation." The memorial inscription reads:

In memory of Abraham R. and Ann Ten Eyck.

Ten Eyck Window

 

The TOWER WindowS

The two tower windows, St. Michael and David, are the work of J. Wippel and Co., Ltd., and were given in memory of Arthur Stein, Jr.

 

 

The Banyar Window

The Banyar Window is a mystery. Placed in the present church in 1860, it was a good specimen of the work of Doremus of New York at that period. It was transferred to the Pumpelly Memorial Choir Room in 1890. It consisted of four lancets, the left illustrating the Good Samaritan; the second, the Blessing of Jacob; the third, the Blessing of Ephraim and Manassas; and the fourth depicting an angel holding a scroll. The window bore the Banyar coat of arms and the inscription:

In memory of Goldsbrow Banyar.

This window was moved into the choir room from its position where the Ten Eyck Window now stands and later apparently vanished.

 

 

Return to Windows